Ghost Town: First successful playthrough

Yep. I made it. 
The last gameplay screen has been implemented and for the first time I am able to play the complete game from first to last room – everything included. I wasn’t sure I would ever reach this state, therefore the satisfaction is through the roof.

The code number room was pretty difficult for me. I didn’t want to fake the view or shortcut anything and keep using the original data, not so easy. Moreover, I was stuck for way too long with my KeyboardController. It was the only piece of code I got from somewhere and I had no idea why it kept failing. In the end I had to rewrite a good portion of it, make it a proper class and it worked. On the upside, solving this issue is beneficial for the other screens left to include, so that’s something. On the downside, the code I wrote in the last two days is most likely the ugliest piece of shit ever written by anyone. I’m not exaggerating.

So, the current state:

It looks like I’m almost done, but there’s heaps of issues to take care of

  • I still have no sound at all
  • The title screen and the intro screen need to be implemented
  • When the player dies, quit the game and go back to the title screen
  • Test if everything falls apart when playing multiple rounds
  • Include a better asset loader, mine is crap

And then there’s the additional stuff that I’d like to do

  • Include all screens for the German version
  • Create a proper start menu to choose between the versions
  • Eventually do a “trainer” with a cracktro
  • Setup a nice little page where the game can be played, including additional information, trivia and so on
  • Offer additional features, like an inventory, turn scanlines on/off, music on/off
  • do a proper code review to reduce the embarrassment this project will cause me
  • Provide a hint system

And finally there’s the awesome stuff I’d like to do (but might never)

  • Offer a color corrected version of the game
  • Offer a version with different charset
  • Do some nice artworks to download
  • redo the music for the C64
  • convert the game to the C64 (could be easier than this project)
  • Change the Display class to render to Three.js (making this game 3D)

The list is almost discouragingly long.
But for today, I’ve won another battle.
And that’s pretty damn cool.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *